Lexington, SC Premises Liability Attorney
Holding South Carolina Property Owners Accountable
Whether you’re on private or public property, you have the right as a tenant, visitor, or guest to feel safe on the premises. Though not all accidents are someone’s fault, if you’ve been injured in an accident caused by negligence, property owners may be the ones responsible and you can have a possible injury case.
The Rick Hall Law Firm, LLC has pursued compensation for injured individuals and their families since 1982, including those injured by negligent property owners. Our Lexington, SC premises liability lawyers have demonstrated experience holding at-fault parties liable for damages such as medical bills, lost wages, and more, and can be a shoulder to lean on during this painful time. Slip and falls and other property accidents are fairly common, but that doesn’t mean they deserve to happen to you and cause you harm.
Contact us online or by phone at (803) 590-9900 to meet with our attorneys in a free consultation. We are a people-oriented law firm that prioritizes our clients’ needs and legal goals after traumatic accidents.
What is Premises Liability?
Premises liability law describes the obligations that property owners, including businesses, individuals, and other entities, have to people who visit or reside on their properties. Property owners must ensure their premises are reasonably safe for those who visit, which includes providing safety from accidents and dangers like break-ins.
Specific duties that property owners have include:
- Ensuring their property is safe for those visiting
- Warning visitors about potential dangers
- Fixing hazards in a timely manner
- Inspecting property regularly to identify hazards
Even if you’re unsure whether someone is responsible for your accident and resulting injuries, your best bet is to utilize a free consultation with us so we can look into your situation.
You may be suffering from injuries like broken bones, spinal cord and neck injuries, and head and brain injuries – injuries that can be painful and difficult financially and emotionally to heal from.
How Slip & Fall Accidents Happen
There are various accidents that fall under the umbrella of premises liability, though our attorney has successfully settled a few common types of cases. Slip and fall accidents are one of the most common types of premises liability cases and occur on poorly maintained properties.
They can be caused by:
- Wet or slippery floors that haven’t been cleaned up
- Cracks or potholes in concrete
- Poor lighting near hazards
- Broken or loose flooring and stairs
- Torn carpeting and rugs
- And more
Other common accidents that result from negligent property management include:
- Accidents caused by negligent security: Property owners must keep their buildings and other properties safe from criminal activity. They can be found negligent if they failed to take action to protect tenants and guests from break-ins and assaults, such as by having working locks on apartment doors and windows and hiring security guards.
- Swimming pool accidents: Common accidents at swimming pools include chemical burns from dangerous pool treatments, diving accidents, illnesses caused by contaminated water, and drowning accidents that typically involve children. Pool owners can do their part to provide for public safety by fencing their pools, hiring on-duty lifeguards, and covering their pools during off-hours.
- Dog attacks: Dog owners are responsible to keep others safe around their dogs and can be held liable if the dog bites, mauls, or causes any injuries to pedestrians. As long as the victim was legally on the property at the time of the attack and did not provoke the animal, they can seek financial compensation for damages.
What Damages Can I Recover after a Personal Injury?
To have a chance at securing full compensation to pay for your damages, you need to have a personal injury lawyer on your side who is well-versed in premises liability law. Insurance companies often act aggressively to defend property owners from claims and will do what they can to undermine you.
Our attorney can investigate your accident as soon as possible so we can collect the remaining evidence to support your claim. We’re able to recover damages that include:
- Medical expenses, both for bills you’re dealing with now and any treatments you may need in the future, such as surgeries, hospital stays, medical equipment, and physical therapy
- Lost income and wages, including reduced earning capacity
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
- Personal property damage
Our team strives to provide clients with convenience. If you’re unable to meet with us at our office, we’re more than happy to come to you at your home or in the hospital.
Call (803) 590-9900 or contact us here if you’ve been injured on someone’s property. Our Lexington, SC premises liability lawyers can determine if negligence is involved and whether you can pursue compensation for damages.
Settlements & Verdicts
$2,000,000 Wrongful Death
Wrongful death and survival action in which our client’s husband was killed after being struck by a tractor that had just collided with a wide load.
$1,000,000 Defective Product
The plaintiff and her two children, causing severe burns which resulted in extensive burn treatment, including skin grafts.
$550,000 Negligently Performed Hip Operation
The client suffered as a result of a negligently performed hip operation.
"I want to cry. Thank you so much for being there for our family and helping us through our tragedy. There are no words to describe the impact you had and still have, in our lives."- Debbie J.